Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wow I've been negligent

Watched:
Love Song for Bobby Long - Yeah I know this is not a book, and I usually do not write about movies. But this one was exceptional. And it's based on a book - Off Magazine Street by Ronald Everett Capps. I new friend recommended it and he was right, I loved it. Set in New Orleans and to me captures it just right...

"A New Orleans summer drowns in thick, dank stillness."

and

"Autumn comes slowly in New Orleans. The grass remains a stubborn green, but the heat gives way to a gentle warmth...Winter arrived before we realized the sunlit hours of summer had waned. So now the wine began to outlast the day and that was more than anyone could've asked for. "

"Some people reach a place in time where they've gone as far as they can. A place where wives and jobs collide with desire. That which is unknowable and those who remain out of sight. See what it is invisible and you will see what to write. That's how Bobby used to put it. It was the invisible people he wanted to live with. The ones that we walk past everday, the ones we sometimes become. The ones in books who live only in someones mind's eye. He was a man who was destined to go through life and not around it. A man who was sure the shortest path to Heaven was straight through Hell. But the truth of his handicap lay only in a mind both exalted and crippled by too many stories and the path he chose to become one. Bobby Long's tragic flaw was his romance with all that he saw. And I guess if people want to believe in some form of justice, then Bobby Long got his for a song."

The movie gets additional points for making me want to download music - "If You Knew My Mind" by Grayson Capps. And I'm wondering what, if any, relationship the author and musician have. I don't see anything on Google about it.

Read: (well, listened to)
Eat, Pray, Love - Good! I wouldn't say it was life-changing for me. Although it did make we want to get back into yoga. And it made me want some spaghetti. It was well written, though. I got the version read by the author, which I always love because you know you are getting the right emphasis and inflection.

Yann Martel short stories - OK. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, but they just seemed ok. And I so LOVED Life of Pi.

Reading:
Yeah I'm still reading Infinite Jest and I don't want to talk about it.

No comments: