Saturday, November 19, 2011

Three Rivers Arts Festival

Last Sunday my cousin Holly and I went over to the Three Rivers Arts Festival in Covington, LA.  Jason agreed to go too  - a great surprise!  I always love having him with me, of course, but he usually skips out of this sort of festivity.  I can sometimes convince him to go look at art, though.  He likes very realistic paintings, and we saw a couple of good ones at Peter Anderson the weekend before. 

We didn't see much in the way of realism at Three Rivers, but we did get to see my friend Amy (Andree's sister), who is a fabulous painter.  Her paintings are very colorful, sort of stained-glassy looking, fun works of art.  Flowers, fruits, and the occasional ballerina...they would brighten any spot!  I WILL have one, one of these days.  I need to save my $ for it!

Here's the link to the facebook page for her art.  https://www.facebook.com/#!/AmyCGlisan?sk=wall

Amy's "Plants of the Bible" series is currently on exhibition at the Bible Museum in Monroe, Louisiana.  The Bible Museum is part of Biedenharn Museum & Gardens.  The Biedenharn includes the historic home , formal garden, Bible Museum and Coke Museum. Joseph A. Biedenharn was the first bottler of Coca-Cola and he built his home in Monroe in 1914.   

Here's an article about the exhibit: http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20111117/ENTERTAINMENT/111170301/History-s-story

I love looking at all the different art.  It makes we want to come home and try to create something.  Of course doing anything like these artists do is way beyond my talent level, but I like to putter around and try things. 

The only thing I bought was an AWESOME little shadow box for Kaylin's room at my house from Fused and Flamework Glass artist Fath Wickey.  http://www.faithwickey.com/ 

I had the HARDEST time deciding which one to buy; she had several that I loved.  She even had a couple of little dogs which were darling.  She also had really amazing LONG versions of the one I got.  They were a way out of my budget, but man-o-man they were BEAUTIFUL.  I was happy with the price of my little box - $65.  The colors are perfect for Kaylin's room and I love the shapes of each little flower. 
After the festival, we stopped in Slidell to visit our Aunt Billie and Uncle Mike.  They left later in the week to spend two weeks in Turkey.  Thanksgiving in Turkey. They probably won't be having turkey though, I'm sure.  It was such a good day, and I'm glad I'm finally climbing out from under all the work/ home/ location adjustments and DOING what I moved here to do - spend more time with my family. 

No comments: