Monday, May 11, 2015

Ooops - End of 2014 Reading

Uhhh..... yeah I forgot to finish the 2014 list, so let me do that before I post 2015.

Where were we.....

73> was The Boy Who Could See Demons...but apparently I put the 1st list of 2014 in reverse chronological order some some bizarre reason, so #73 was actually Fourth of July Creek

74> The Luminaries- Eleanor Catton: I actually liked this one way more than I thought I would.  

75> World War Z -  Max Brooks: Sooooooooo much better than the movie.  So much more about the politics of a worldwide crisis.  

76>  Faithful Place - Tana French:  I really so enjoy her books.  Sort-of mysteries/ psychology studies, and well written.  

77> Apocalypse Z - Manel Loureiro:  I like a good apocalypse zombie story.  I won't apologize.  

78>  We Were Liars - E. Lockhart:  a young adult novel that is just WOW.  

79>;  All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr: It was ok.  Well written, but the story just was a little too Davinci Code for me, I guess.  

80>: Stone Mattress - Margaret Atwood:  I usually LOVE Margaret Atwood, but this one just didn't stick with me. Perhaps I will revisit it later.  

81>; Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel: I love a good Apocalypse story of pretty much any kind.  

82>; The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton:  If I had never read and Neal Stephenson, I would have loved this book.  I did still really like it, though.  

83>; Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguru: Meh.  Story just didn't sit right with me.  Too "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet", and I liked that better.  

84>; Broken Monsters - Lauren Beukes: Too "Hannibal, the TV show".  

85>; Yes, Please - Amy Poeler: Way better and more interesting than I expected.  

86>; Already Dead - Charlie Huston: Zombies are fun.  

87>; To Rise Again At A Decent Hour- Joshua Farris: Liked it

88>; The Vacationers- Emma Straub: Good story about a marriage and a family.  I liked it.  

89>; The Martian - Andy Weir: Never ask your scientist husband to read a book you liked.  He will point out every flaw.  

90>; Bossy Pants - Tina Fey: Also way better and more interesting than I expected.  

91>; Slouching Toward Bethlehem - Joan Didian:  Meh

92> Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng: It was just ok, although that may have had something to do with the fact that I was deeply engrossed in the SERIAL podcast at the time I read it. There are some similarities between the stories, but Serial, being TRUE and ON-GOING, was/is way more fascinating.  



OK so that's it for 2014.  92 books.  Not a record, but no too shabby, I think?  The most important (and surprising) thing to ME, anyway, is that I actually remember reading them haha.  There were only a couple of books in 2014 that I started and just could not complete.  Both involved animal cruelty and I just cannot even.  Those were:  Salvage the Bones, and We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves.  They both got great reviews and my opinions should not count against them.  I just can't read those kinds of things.  The horror of them gets stuck in my brain and plays on a loop for eternity.  And LAWD, I don't need to add to the things already on the loop.

No comments: