Monday, February 4, 2013

2012 Reading Summary (a pathetic attempt)



So as I said in my last post, 2012 was the year of the Complete and Total Lack of Focus.  As such, it was one of the leanest reading years I've had I think since college.  I only read 29.5 Books.  Embarrassing.  Some of them were actually even re-reads, which I hesitate to even count.  But I did get something new out of each of them, so I suppose they count.  I almost NEVER reread.  It just seems like such a waste of time when there are so many things on my ever-growing wish-to-read list.  So anyway.  Here's the 2012 list (in chronological order) with some short explanations:

  1. Snuff ----  If you know me, you know my passion for Terry Pratchett
  2. Metatropolis ---- A collection of related dystopianish short stories.  I really liked them. 
  3. Bel Canto ---- Read on the insistence of my friend Michael.  It was just ok.  Michael is still awesome, though.
  4. The Book Thief ---- omg loved.  Cried. 
  5. Interpreter of Maladies ---- I have a love/hate relationship with Pulitzer Prize books.  This is one I get.  It's actually a collection of short stories which I'll probably revisit in paper.  I listened to audio, and I think there are some parts I could have lingered over longer. 
  6. We Need to Talk About Kevin ---- omg people are freaking crazy.  I don't have the potentially heartbreaking responsibility of raising another person. Thank God some people are willing to take that risk or the human race would quickly become extinct.
  7. The Sense of an Ending --- I personally did not have the sense of an ending.  I had a sense of "what the hell was all the hype about??"  The "twist"? Yeah.  Not that twisted.  I'm not a fan.
  8. The Virgin Suicides --- Yes I know, old news.  But I never read it, and I can't believe I missed this one.  Loved it.  Potential eventual reread.
  9. The Art of Racing in the Rain ---- A book from the prospective of a dog.  LOVED :)  Thanks Aunt Billie! 
  10. Memoirs of a Geisha ---- I was convinced this was non-fiction until I decided to check 1/2 way through.  SO disappointed. 
  11. Gone Girl --- it's ok, and no I didn't see all the twists.  It was fun, but I don't think it deserved all the hype.  It's on like every best of 2012 list.  I say meh. 
  12. The Tiger's Wife ----  I liked it.  Very Ann Patchett-y.  But I think the author is actually like 16 or something ridiculous like that. 
  13. Saturday  ---- Pretty good.  I mean Ian McEwen is ALWAYS good, but this was not my favorite of his books. 
  14. Defending Jacob ---- See comments for #6
  15. A Clockwork Orange ---- Jason started watching all these documentaries about North Korea and making me watch them.  They were actually fascinating and SCARY, and they made me think about 1984 and A Clockwork Orange, neither of which I had read since college and I honestly couldn't remember anything about.  So I read them both again. 
  16. Solomon's Gold ---- Neal Stephenson - the Baroque Cycle.  I'm obsessed.  These are rereads because I love them so much.  Well technically not rereads, because I first read them in paper, and now I'm listening to them on audio.
  17. Little Bee ---- Lots of hype.  It's pretty good. Didn't see the end coming. 
  18. Waiter Rant ---- Fun!  Made me want to tip more, and I'm a pretty good tipper to begin with.
  19. Silas Marner ---- I had never read it, and I am trying to catch up on all the "literature" I should have read a long time ago.  This one made me sad!!
  20. Feed ---- Zombies!  FUN!!  This is part of a series, and I can't wait to read the next ones. 
  21. 1984 ---- See comments for # 15
  22. Light in August ---- The Books on the Nightstand podcast people had one of their annual Booktopia weekends in Oxford in 2012, and consequently talked a lot about Faulkner. I remember LOVING Faulkner in high school, but honestly couldn't remember a thing I had read.  So I listened to this one on audio and it all rushed back.  I loved his writing all over again. 
  23. Three Cups of Tea ---- Crazy guy goes to Afghanistan, ends up building schools.  Pretty good memoir.  Didn't really tell me as much about Afghan culture as I thought it would.  I mean it told me some, but I wanted more.
  24. Neuromancer ----  first winner of the science-fiction "triple crown" — the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award, and the Hugo Award.   I thought it was fun until about 1/2 way through, then I was BORED with it.
  25. Let's Pretend this Never Happened ---- Bwwahahahahahah!!  Thebloggess.com 
  26. Bonanza ----  See Comments for #16
  27. Crooked Letter Crooked Letter ---- Friendship and betrayal.  It was sad to me :( 
  28. The Juncto ---- See Comments for #16
  29. Weird Sisters ---- The Virgin Suicides "light", and with the opposite ending.
   29.5 1st 1/2 of The Brothers Karamazov - I'm loving it, but the audio is lonnnggggggg.  Also, I'm only listening to it when I'm sitting in my studio because for some reason the audible files lock up my ipod. 

So that's the summary for 2012.  Kinda sad. HOWEVER, now that my head is clearer, I have been BLAZING through books!  It's SO exciting.  I feel like I'm making up for lost time.  I am feeling more and more like myself.  Happy :)

No comments: